Tip: If you have the capacity: give any tense, low-vibe-energy or tension in your body a color. With each breath, imagine that color draining into and ground and as you inhale, absorb a clear bright light, filled with replenishing, positive energy.
Supplements shown to improve the stress response/ decrease cortisol:
- Passion Flower
- Holy Basil
- Magnolia Bark
- Kava (Limited use. Avoid if you have any liver issues.)
To activate parasympathetic nervous system, other than breath work:
- HUGS. Make them long and meaningful!
- Exercise that promotes long and slow exhalation: yoga, tai chi, walking, pilates
- Spend time with animals. This not only reduces cortisol, it activates oxytocin-- the love hormone.
To down-regulate the sympathetic nervous system, Avoid:
- Caffeine, nicotine, alcohol
- Voilent or intense TV
- Certain company (people who might drain you, test you, and/or roust you)
If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or taking medications, consult with your doctor before starting a supplement routine. It is always optimal to consult with a health care provider when considering what supplements are right for you.